School Visits and Space Education Programme at Carter Observatory
Carter Observatory is pleased to offer a comprehensive curriculum-linked space experience that will inspire, excite and motivate your students.
Capital City Connections is a fast paced cross curricular full day programme visiting Carter observatory, City Gallery Wellington, Museum of Wellington City & Sea and Capital E. Students experience a taste of arts, culture and heritage as they explore the capital city and their relationship to it.
Offered in Term 1 and Term 2 only. NEW PROGRAMME beginning Term 2, 2014. For students in Years 5 to 10. Cost $17 per student. Click here for more information.
Carter’s LEOTC (Learning Experiences Outside The Classroom) supported education programme includes a show in our state of the art planetarium, access to our multimedia exhibition and galleries, and a workshop targeted to your learning objectives. Carter is ideal for students Years 1 – 11+.
Your students will be able to:
- Journey through space in the Pelorus Trust Planetarium, where one of our educators will use the latest technology to bring the night sky to life
- Explore our interactive multimedia exhibition to learn about the science, culture and heritage of astronomy from a uniquely Kiwi perspective
- Access some of the finest telescopes, astronomical artefacts and texts in New Zealand in staff-led workshop sessions
Teachers will be offered:
- A free curriculum-linked teaching resource with astronomy information, lesson plans and classroom activities, and links for further research to complement your trip
- A free familiarisation visit and conversation with the education team at Carter
- Support from Carter staff to make the trip as stress-free as possible
- Professional development opportunities throughout the year